The harmful effects of lead poisoning are permanent. There is no cure just prevention.
Protect your family! Insist on seeing proof of EPA Certification
Contractors,handyman services,property managers, and all others tradesmen who disturb known or presumed lead-based paint during renovation must be EPA certified renovators, certified in lead-safe work practices if their work disturbs more than 6 square feet of paint on the interior or a 20-square-foot section on the exterior of homes and childcare facilities built before 1978.
The older your home is, the more likely it contains lead-based paint, which can turn into fine, ingestible dust if disturbed. The RRP program was put in place to protect children and pregnant women from lead dust causing lead poisoning created by uncontained renovations, remodeling, home repairs and some painting activities. Most homes in Tampa are pre-1978 and require that lead-safe practices be used by your contractor, handyman, remodeler, painter, plumber, or electrician.
There are many misconceptions about lead paint; People seem to think lead paint is a problem of the past. People still believe that kids can only get lead poisoning by eating paint chips. This is not the case. Lead dust created during renovations and painting activity pose the highest lead poison threat to children. Though children below the age of 6 are at the highest risk health experts, say anyone can be poisoned by lead. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates some 250,000 U.S. children between the ages of 1 and 5 suffer from lead poisoning that number may be even higher. According to EPA, over one million kids have been poisoned by lead from old paint and uncontained renovations, meaning they have more than 5 micrograms of lead per deciliter of blood. Children who have elevated blood lead levels can experience developmental and behavioral problems leading to a lifetime of problems.
Message from the EPA about lead paint